Trader Joe’s, Publix and Whole Foods Found to Be Most-Liked Supermarkets
According to a new study of 6,600 consumers conducted by Market Force Information, Trader Joe’s is North America’s favorite grocery store based on customer satisfaction. Placing second and third, are the somewhat more traditional stores Publix and Whole Foods. The survey was conducted in May 2013 across the United States and Canada. The pool of 6,645 respondents reflected a broad spectrum of income levels, with 60% reporting household incomes of more than $50,000 a year. Respondents’ ages ranged from 19 to over 65. Approximately 73% were women and 27% were men, and half have children at home.
All three of the supermarkets received high scores for courteous staff, high-quality produce and inviting atmosphere. Hy-Vee scored well on these measures as well.
Market Force also assessed which stores consumers frequent the most, inquiring where they had spent the majority of their money in the previous 30 days. Market Force broke down the results in components by four U.S. regions, as well as Canada.
- Northeast – Claiming the top spot is Stop & Shop, earning 11% of the votes. GIANT came in second with 6%, and Wegmans and Market Basket tied for third with 5%.
- South – With 16% Kroger ranked first, closely followed by Publix with 15% and H-E-B came in third with 5%.
- Midwest – Again Kroger led the ranks in this region with 11%. Meijer ranked second with 9% and Hy-Vee won the third spot with 8%.
- West – Safeway led the pack by a wide margin with 12%, Kroger earned 9% and Costco received 7%.
- Canada – With 15%, Loblaws dominated the survey. At 11%, Sobeys took second place and Costco and Safeway tied for third at 7%.
Although some shoppers are practicing extreme couponing, that doesn’t seem to be a common trend. In fact, the research findings suggest a steady decline in coupon use over the past three years. Of those who are redeeming coupons, most are clipping them from a newspaper, magazine or other print media. The second most popular source for coupons is the grocery store.